What’s Happening: March 2015
By Hannah Linnemeyer
Many farms here in Central Iowa are gearing up for the 2015 CSA season. Eat Greater Des Moines offers a great CSA resource on their website- type in your address to find CSA pick-up sites near you. Practical Farmers of Iowa is also a helpful resource in finding a CSA program to participate in- view their list here. Also, here are a few BFBL members now accepting shares (If your farm is not listed and you would like it to be, please email us at email@example.com):
Bridgewater Farms -learn more here.
Crooked Gap Farm– they are adding Urbandale and Pella locations to the current Des Moines (The Cheese Shop) and Knoxville delivery options for the 2015 season. Learn more about their meat CSA here.
Grade A Gardens – stop by any of the following local businesses to sign up: The Cheese Shop of Des Moines, Zanzibar’s Coffee Adventure, Gateway Market & Cafe, HoQ restaurant, Capital Chiropractic and Rehabilitation Center, Whole Foods Market West Des Moines.
Grinnell Heritage Farm- learn more and purchase a share on their website.
The Homestead- sign up on their website.
Raccoon Forks Farm- view their CSA brochure.
Wabi Sabi Farm – registration for new members will begin on February 1st, 2015. Click here to find out more.
The Wallace Centers of Iowa’s Prairie Harvest CSA – Registration forms at www.wallace.org or sign up by calling 515-243-7063.
- “Cooking with George” classes on January 10th, February 13th, and March 7th, at 6:30 p.m. at Malo Restaurant
Join Chef George Formaro for an interactive evening filled with great food and libations! Enjoy a chef’s demonstration followed by a four course dinner with wine selections. $65/ guest. To reserve your spot, call 515-244-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Malo Wine Classes on January 21st, February 18th, March 18th, and April 15th at 6:30 p.m.
Join Malo and Gateway Market’s Abbe Hendricks to explore the wines of Spain and Latin America. You may reserve your spot for $30 for a single class or $100 for all 4 classes. Call 515-244-5000 or email email@example.com to make reservations!
- Food for Thought Dinners at the Wallace House, every Thursday evening beginning in Mid-March
The Wallace House invites you to “Food for Thought,” a program that combines locally-sourced dining with conversation about food. Diners will order from a changing menu of appetizers, entrees, and desserts created from local ingredients, including fruits and vegetables grown at the Country Life Center. Bring your own wine. Reservations are encouraged, as seating is limited. Call 515-243-7063 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Peace Tree Brewing Co.’s 5 Year Anniversary Celebration on Saturday, March 21st
- Leadership & Civility Lunch series at the Wallace Centers of Iowa
Each program speaker will offer professionals insight on effective leadership and how civility practices can lead to more sustainable outcomes. The lunches will be held on Wednesdays from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm. The cost of the event is $25 per person, and reservations are required- email email@example.com or call 515-243-7063.
- April 18th- Aubrey Alvarez, Eat Greater Des Moines, “Making an Impact through Connections”
- June 24th- Callista Gould, Culture & Manners Institute, “Can we Talk? Finding Civility When we Disagree?”
- Gathering Table Lunches at the Country Life Center, Fridays beginning in Mid-March
Offered from 11 am to 1 pm on Fridays at the Country Life Center near Orient. Menus change weekly, with entrees ranging from $7 to $10, including a side. Walk-ins welcome, with reservations strongly encouraged for groups. Call 641-337-5019.
- Gathering Table Dinners at the Country Life Center, Fridays beginning March 13th
Held on Fridays from 5:30 to 8 pm at the Country Life Center near Orient, the weekly menu features fresh-from-the-garden produce and additional ingredients from local family farms. Entree prices range from $12 to $18. Choose from a full selection of Iowa wines. Reservations strongly suggested as they close occasionally for private events. Please call 641-337-5019 to book your party.
- The Cheese Shop Fondue Night, Wednesdays, 4:00pm – 7:00pm