What’s Happening: February 2015
By: Hannah Linnemeyer
- Many farms here in Central Iowa are gearing up for the 2015 CSA season. Eat Greater Des Moines offers a great CSA resource on their website- type in your address to find CSA pick-up sites near you. Practical Farmers of Iowa is also a helpful resource in finding a CSA program to participate in- view their list here. Also, here are a few BFBL members now accepting shares (If your farm is not listed and you would like it to be, please email us at email@example.com):
Bridgewater Farms -learn more here.
Crooked Gap Farm– they are adding Urbandale and Pella locations to the current Des Moines (The Cheese Shop) and Knoxville delivery options for the 2015 season. Learn more about their meat CSA here.
Grade A Gardens – stop by any of the following local businesses to sign up: The Cheese Shop of Des Moines, Zanzibar’s Coffee Adventure, Gateway Market & Cafe, HoQ restaurant, Capital Chiropractic and Rehabilitation Center, Whole Foods Market West Des Moines.
Grinnell Heritage Farm- learn more and purchase a share on their website.
The Homestead- sign up on their website.
Raccoon Forks Farm- view their CSA brochure.
Wabi Sabi Farm – registration for new members will begin on February 1st, 2015. Click here to find out more.
The Wallace Centers of Iowa’s Prairie Harvest CSA – Registration forms at www.wallace.org or sign up by calling 515-243-7063.
- “Cooking with George” classes on January 10th, February 13th, and March 7th, at 6:30 p.m. at Malo Restaurant
Join Chef George Formaro for an interactive evening filled with great food and libations! Enjoy a chef’s demonstration followed by a four course dinner with wine selections. $65/ guest. To reserve your spot, call 515-244-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wine School 101 at Two Saints Winery- classes begin December 6, 2014 – Feb. 21. 2015
Sample 8-10 wines and learn how to swirl, sip, and serve them. Visit http://www.twosaintswinery.com or call 641-396-2102 to reserve your spot.
- Malo Wine Classes on January 21st, February 18th, March 18th, and April 15th at 6:30 p.m.
Join Malo and Gateway Market’s Abbe Hendricks to explore the wines of Spain and Latin America. You may reserve your spot for $30 for a single class or $100 for all 4 classes. Call 515-244-5000 or email email@example.com to make reservations!
- Find our BFBL member, Allspice Culinarium, at many events around Des Moines this February
Allspice will be at the Des Moines Home & Garden Show @ Hyvee Hall from February 12-15. They will also be participating in the Des Moines Opera Food & Wine Showcase @ the Downtown Marriott on February 20th. Lastly, join them as they conduct “Cooking with Alessandra” classes at her East Village location on February 24th.
Chef’s Kitchen is offering a 3 course dinner for 2 and a complimentary glass of champagne for $39.99. They are open Tuesday – Saturday from 5:00-10:00pm.
- Valentine’s Dinner at Baru 66, February 12th – 16th
Baru will be offering their “Love-Affair Menu” Thursday thru Monday. Three courses $65; six courses, $120. Reservations are required.
- HoQ Valentine’s Day Dinner on February 13th and 14th
Indulge in HoQ’s four course prix fixe dinner this Valentine’s day weekend. The full menu is available on HoQ’s website.
- Le Jardin’s Valentine’s Prixe Fixe Menu on February 13th and 14th
Treat your love (or your like) to a four course culinary experience at Le Jardin this Valentine’s Day. They are sold out on the 14th but may still have availability on the 13th. Call 515-255-5787 for reservations.
- Valentine’s Day Dinner at the Wallace House on Friday, February 13th at 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Chef Katie will be preparing a special five-course meal for $60 per person. Tables are available for couples and groups. Call 515-243-7063 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Valentine’s Day Cupcake Pairing Flight at Jasper Winery on Saturday, February 14th from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Pair 3 mini cupcakes with 3 pairing-size sips of Jasper Winery wines or Madhouse Brewing Co. beers. Tasting flight is $20/person. Reservations are required. Call 515-282-9463 or email email@example.com to schedule your cupcake flight!
- Two Times the Fun! Dinner and Entertainment Duo at the Country Life Center on Saturday, February 14th beginning at 5 p.m.
Treat your Valentine to a three-course dinner at the Country Life Center at 5 pm and then enjoy reserved seating at the 7 pm “Two on Tap” show at the Warren Cultural Center in Greenfield. This dining and entertainment duo is $50/person. Chef Katie will be determining the menu soon. Contact the Warren Cultural Center at 641-343-7337 or www.warrenculturalcenter.com.
- FoLoLi, Festa di Sera Rosso: A Celebration for Singles on Valentine’s Day at Centro on Saturday, February 14th from 6:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Join fellow Des Moines area singles for an evening of great food and fun. Receive a special Valentine gift as well as the chance to win door prizes. Enjoy a four-course meal by Centro’s Chef Derek Eidson and Chef George Formaro, inspired by the food featured in the book, The Broken Heart Diet, a novel by local author Tom Formaro. Relationship-readiness coach Janet Tingwald (of Ready to Find Mr. Right) will be on hand for questions and ideas.
- Valentine’s Day Dinner at the Country Life Center on Saturday, February 14th at 7 p.m.
Relax and enjoy a four-course meal prepared by Chef Katie at the Country Life Center. There will be more updates to come on the menu details. For reservations call 641-337-5019 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Picket Fence Creamery’s President’s Day Sample Sunday on February 15th from Noon – 5:00 p.m.
There will be many Iowa foods available to sample. Cherry vanilla ice cream, Stone Cliff Winery’s Sweet Cherry wine, fresh cheese curds, meat sticks, Neva’s bacon cheeseball, bacon chili corn bread, Denison mustards, soups, local jams, caramel puffs, and… “the best darned chocolate milk this side of the Milky Way!” Just to name a few.
- Le Jardin at Peace Tree Brewing Co. for Fat Tuesday on Tuesday, February 17th
Le Jardin is heading to Knoxville to celebrate Fat Tuesday on February 17. Join Le Jardin and Peace Tree Brewery for a four course meal with beer pairings. The Peace Tree team will be on hand to give brewery tours and talk about their beers.
- Food for Thought Dinners at the Wallace House begin again in Mid-March
The Wallace House invites you to “Food for Thought,” a program that combines locally-sourced dining with conversation about food. Diners will order from a changing menu of appetizers, entrees, and desserts created from local ingredients, including fruits and vegetables grown at the Country Life Center. Bring your own wine. Reservations are encouraged, as seating is limited. Call 515-243-7063 or email email@example.com.
- Peace Tree Brewing Co.’s 5 Year Anniversary Celebration on Saturday, March 21st
- The Cheese Shop Fondue Night, Wednesdays, 4:00pm – 7:00pm