What’s Fresh September 2014
Buy Fresh Buy Local simply loves this time of year. So much is in season: zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant, sweet corn, cucumbers, peppers, potatoes, onions, peas, cabbage, beets, etc. We are also seeing the beginning of fall fruit: apples, pears, melons, even some fall raspberries. Here’s a great recipe to celebrate the bounty and flavors of September.
Recipe thanks to Maytag Dairy Farms.
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cups watermelon chunks
- 3 cups coarsely chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cucumbers
- 1 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup crumbled Maytag Blue Cheese
1. Combine vinegar, salt, pepper, and oil; whisk well. Gently toss remaining ingredients into a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss to coat. Serve Immediately. Serves 12.