What’s Fresh: Melons
By: Kelsey Johnson
Buy Fresh Buy Local simply loves this time of year. Instead of telling you what’s going out of season, all we have are more delicious, fresh foods that are making their way in season. In addition to zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant, sweet corn, cucumbers, peppers, potatoes, onions, peas, cabbage, beets (and more) we are seeing the beginning of fruit season. Black berries, peaches, and apricots are on their way in, and according to Prairie Song Apiary from Coon Rapids, this will be the first time in the past few years there will be a substantial crop of apples. Look for a few early apples now and then lots of apples by mid-September!
Here at BFBL we have been feasting on melons courtesy of our boss, Neil Hamilton, which inspired us to feature them in this week’s “What’s Fresh.” Recipe thanks to Maytag Dairy Farms.
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cups watermelon chunks
- 3 cups coarsely chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cucumbers
- 1 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup crumbled Maytag Blue Cheese
1. Combine vinegar, salt, pepper, and oil; whisk well. Gently toss remaining ingredients into a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss to coat. Serve Immediately. Serves 12.